Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Linda
#1 Posted : 09 May 2012 15:41:12(UTC)
Linda

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to share. The days are much longer now, and winter (when I couldn't wake up at a reasonable time) seems a distant memory. Now I have the opposite problem; it gets light so early (we are in the far north of Scotland) that I wake too early in the morning, with the result that come mid-afternoon I am seriously flagging and a major sleep deficit is building up. I'm looking into blackout curtains / blinds, but does anyone have any other ideas, please?

Edited by user 09 May 2012 15:43:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

wooltonian
#2 Posted : 28 May 2012 09:54:43(UTC)
wooltonian

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hiya Linda - sorry to hear the longer days are causing you problems! On the plus side, this particular issue is probably a bit different from those intractable, circadian sleep pattern problems that we all wrestle with and is more of a situational / environmental problem....a bit like a neighbour's alarm going off at the same time every night causing you to wake. So, therefore, it should be easier to sort out (famous last words!) I've just spent a night at a Day's Inn hotel and noticed that they put a PVC / plastic type lining on their curtains which is very effective at blocking out the morning sun. Having done a quick google serach, I've noticed that there is something called 'blackout lining', available from a number of different outlets, which I'm sure would make a big difference. Let me know if you need any further info.

Just regarding our previous discussions about the best time of day to use the light box, I am finding with the brighter afternoons and longer evenings that my 4.00-7.00am sleep is much improved. This confirms my theory that afternoon light (1.00-6.00pm) is the key to me getting a decent night's sleep. In general terms, it seems to be that exposure to light at a particular time helps with your sleep 12 hours later -- i.e. lots of early afternoon light helps me sleep better for the first half of the night, and plenty of mid-to-late afternoon light improves the second half of my night's sleep. It only took me seven years to work that out!!!

Come the dreaded Autumn I will come back on here and update on how things are going.

In the meantime, enjoy the nice weather -- long may it continue -- and all the lovely...day-time...light!

wooltonian
Linda
#3 Posted : 28 May 2012 21:50:19(UTC)
Linda

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Thanks for your reply, wooltonian. I have managed to go some way towards sorting my early morning waking. We have bought blackout blinds, and it's really helped a lot. We found a company who makes them to measure, and dispatches them really quickly. I am very relieved!

Thanks for sharing your light box hours; I think I will try that next autumn. However, I do find that my hours need to vary as the hours of darkness get longer. I should really try to be more scientific about it, as sleep is a big problem in the winter.

However, as you say, lets all enjoy the lighter days. Hope you have a lovely summer!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed