Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

wooltonian
#1 Posted : 17 May 2016 07:34:09(UTC)
wooltonian

Groups: Registered
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I'm not sure if this is because of the time of year and the longs days / short nights, but my sleep has taken a dive over the last two weeks. I get off to sleep OK, but am generally restless during the night and I am waking up every morning between 5.30 and 6.00am. I'm not sure that this is because the bedroom starts to light up -- I can often sleep through that sort of thing.

I have tried all sorts of different things to try and change this pattern (moving my daily walk from morning to afternoon, using my light box during late afternoon, drawing the curtains after about 8.00pm), but so far nothing is working.

This seems to confirm a pattern that I have noticed during the last few years -- my sleep gets better and better between February and April, but by the time May comes along there is almost too much light and my sleep gets disrupted. I feel like I am in a murky haze of tiredness all the time and my mood / mental energy levels have taken a bit of a dip. I am almost thinking that a period of cloudier weather might 'normalise' things a bit such that I could supplement any shortage of light with my light box (as per the rest of the year).

Is anyone else having problems with sleep? Does having so much daylight almost take away an element of 'control' in terms of our exposure to light and disrupt our normal routines and patterns?
wooltonian
#2 Posted : 17 May 2016 08:29:43(UTC)
wooltonian

United Kingdom

...just noticed that I posted something very similar to this about a year ago! I had forgotten because the thread had slipped down the 'running order' and I hadn't looked at it in months. There is obviously a pattern!
Linda
#3 Posted : 20 May 2016 11:00:01(UTC)
Linda

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wooltonian Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure if this is because of the time of year and the longs days / short nights, but my sleep has taken a dive over the last two weeks. I get off to sleep OK, but am generally restless during the night and I am waking up every morning between 5.30 and 6.00am. I'm not sure that this is because the bedroom starts to light up -- I can often sleep through that sort of thing.

I have tried all sorts of different things to try and change this pattern (moving my daily walk from morning to afternoon, using my light box during late afternoon, drawing the curtains after about 8.00pm), but so far nothing is working.

This seems to confirm a pattern that I have noticed during the last few years -- my sleep gets better and better between February and April, but by the time May comes along there is almost too much light and my sleep gets disrupted. I feel like I am in a murky haze of tiredness all the time and my mood / mental energy levels have taken a bit of a dip. I am almost thinking that a period of cloudier weather might 'normalise' things a bit such that I could supplement any shortage of light with my light box (as per the rest of the year).

Is anyone else having problems with sleep? Does having so much daylight almost take away an element of 'control' in terms of our exposure to light and disrupt our normal routines and patterns?

Yes, yes, yes!! - although it's been a bit longer than just the last two weeks (supposedly due to the longer light hours we are getting now in this corner of the world). I find the same thing in the autumn - for a while I sleep better as the evenings get darker, then things fall apart again when it gets too dark. I wake up multiple times every night, and this trend is also miserably familiar now that it's light until 11 pm.

Like you, wooltonian, I am in a haze of fatigue, and trying desperately to attribute it to all sorts of other things, but I know the root cause is down to light levels. There must be some sort of ideal level that we hit in spring and autumn that just "works" for us.

I sometimes wonder - could this be a mild case of summer SAD?

wooltonian
#4 Posted : 22 June 2016 15:47:41(UTC)
wooltonian

United Kingdom

I bought myself an eye mask about a week ago because the early morning light had been waking me up at around 4.30am, especially on sunny days. Works a treat! I just keep it by the bed and if I wake up early in the morning due to the early dawn I just pop it on. It blots out virtually 100% of the light and doesn't seem to come off.

I bought mine on Amazon just putting 'eye mask' into the search box. They seem to vary in quality a bit. Mine is made by Jasmine Silk, gets good reviews and works great. Just a word of warning: if you put 'blindfold' into the search box (like I did) you end up in the 'Ann Summers' department of Amazon looking at all manner of kinky gear!!

Edited by user 22 June 2016 21:56:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed