Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Neens
#21 Posted : 08 April 2012 20:28:50(UTC)
Neens

Groups: Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey Stuart

This discussion has really interested me. I'm planning to do a post on my blog http://sadlightblog.info about Summer SAD and when I saw your post, I had to read the thread. When I say Summer SAD, I'd normally mean that sufferers of SAD and Winter Blues can sometimes feel their symptoms returning after a run of dull days in summer. But reading your, and others' posts about dreading summer has made me want to do a bit more research into this. I have to admit that I didn't know that people suffer from the effects of summer so much. I'm sorry to hear this. Hope that you have in the past found some ways of coping?
Stuart
#22 Posted : 08 April 2012 23:21:34(UTC)
Stuart

Man
United Kingdom

Hi Neens,

Must admit I had never heard of Summer Sad either, so was really happy when I stumbled upon this thread 3 years ago. It was nice to find that I was not the only one that has a poor relationship with the Summer months.

I have found many ways to cope with the Summer, but it still affects you mentally and that is a part of it that is much harder to deal with.

We have recently had some very hot and sunny days in the UK that lasted for almost two weeks. All I could think about was WHERE ARE THE APRIL SHOWERS. All you hear when you go out... if you have too.... is how LOVELY the weather is and what a BEAUTIFUL day it is.... this too also adds to the misery of how the sun can make me feel.

It is easier to cope with when you are not around others, as even when you are inside you can pull the curtains shut to block out the sunshine without appearing strange to friends or family.

Even the slightest bit of rain or overcast weather can lift my mood. I will feel an urgency to go out in it, enjoying the grey skies and shiny roads and pavements.

I look forward very much to reading your blog as I, and am sure many others, welcome anyone that takes an interest in the lesser known Summer SAD.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to ask.

All the best, Stuart
Neens
#23 Posted : 09 April 2012 18:32:03(UTC)
Neens

Woman
United Kingdom

Hey Stuart

I can imagine it must be really hard; at least Winter SAD has become more recognised in recent years and many people can identify with feeling a bit low in dull weather and short days - like you say, many (myself included, sorry!) would be gleefully dancing around in the sunshine telling everyone how glorious it is!

Thanks for sharing your experience; it's really opened my eyes! I'm sure other people will find it very interesting to hear about the condition too. If it's ok with you, I'll probably refer people back to this thread from the blog post, when I write it. As I don't suffer with Summer SAD of this kind myself, I think it would be helpful to quote you and let people see for themselves how it affects sufferers. Would this be ok?

I'm glad you've found ways of managing the symptoms. I know what you mean, when you say it still affects you mentally, despite coping. I manage my Winter SAD pretty successfully - I don't think many people who don't know me well would realise there was any difference between summer and winter - but sometimes I catch myself thinking that I'd really rather not feel like I'm battling to manage symptoms; it seems so unfair! Is this how you feel?
Stuart
#24 Posted : 14 April 2012 20:28:45(UTC)
Stuart

Man
United Kingdom

Hello again Neens, Sorry for not replying sooner.

I love the fact that you would be out dancing if the sun came out. I try so hard not to be negative about my dislike for the summer months when I am around people that enjoy it... which to be fair is everyone I know :)

I never want to be the odd one out that is moaning about the sun shine.... long summer evenings and scorching heat. So instead I just try to avoid getting into a situation where I might do that.

It was only when I found this thread and started to write about it, that I realized I had so much inside me to talk about.

Please feel free to quote anything I write that you may find useful to your project. I know I have nothing to be ashamed of, by feeling the way I do, so if saying what I say gives someone else something to think about, then that can only be a good thing.

If you were interested, I have written a bit about different aspects of how I feel about Summer Sad for my own personal reasons, and will send it to you via private message. I keep meaning to post it here too... but have never gotten round to it... but I will, one Sunny Day, when I have nothing better to do than stay inside :)

Edited by user 14 April 2012 20:37:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Neens
#25 Posted : 03 May 2012 20:45:03(UTC)
Neens

Woman
United Kingdom

Hi Stuart

Sorry for the late reply - did you try to send me the piece you wrote? I didn't get it if so - I was going to reply to you there! :) Can you try and send it again?

To be honest, I've been struggling to write posts. I thought it was going to be great, that once the lighter nights came, I would be able to get lots of posts ready for autumn and winter. But I've been feeling a bit 'bleurgh'; been fighting off a cold or something I think! I'm feeling better now, so have no more excuses! ;) I definitely need to crack on with my post about summer SAD and would love your help Stuart!
Stuart
#26 Posted : 06 June 2017 13:29:00(UTC)
Stuart

Man
United Kingdom

Not been on here for a while, and not sure if there are still people around, but it's that time of year again when the though of the Summer starts to bring me down.

Spring has been 'silly warm' here in London over the past couple of weeks, so dreading what the actual Summer months are going to be like.

Even now as I am writing, what started off as a rainy day, is brightening up, and my initial thoughts are to shut the curtains. However when you live with other people, that is not an option.

I know that Lumie is a site for people suffering from SAD, but it has also been the only place I have found where people were talking about Summer SAD.

For years I thought there was something wrong with me. Why didn't I enjoy the sun like everyone else seemed too!!. Even today, although friends and family know my dislike for the Summer months, Sunshine in particular, I have never raised the topic of SummerSAD with them. I want to learn more about it and would love to talk, once again, with any others that feel the dread of Summer looming like a (forgive the pun) a BIG BLACK CLOUD.

For me I love a 'big black cloud', I adore the rain and everything that it brings with it, I wait patiently for the clocks to change and the darker, longer, nights to draw in.

It's so nice to talk about it, a release from having to bottle it up inside. No one wants to hear someone moaning about the sunshine, but when it is dark and grey outside, that is all I hear. Moans about how "HORRID" it is, and my personal pet hate "AWFUL WEATHER WE'RE HAVING"!!

So once again, nice to be back and thank you Lumie for understanding that for some of us SAD can be in the summer months too.

Stuart
Stuart
#27 Posted : 14 June 2017 09:56:16(UTC)
Stuart

Man
United Kingdom

So I knew it was coming, but have been in a bit of denial. Today I can not hide from it. The sun is shinning and people are out and about in T-shirts, shorts and crop tops.

Me... I am inside, curtains closed and staying in for the day. I hate this so much. I don't get depressed, well I don't think I do, but I most certainly get SAD. When the sun is out and the heat is up, I just want to put a blanket over my head and hide.

I am wearing white today, I don't know why! Perhaps it being a sunny day I am trying to fit in with the 'norm', but inside I am still the guy with blanket over my head.

I should be working ( I work from home ) but I find myself here, not by decision but by instinct.

I am always self aware that writing here is a bit odd, this is a wonderful website that I found many many years ago, 99.9% to help sufferers get through the dark and winter months with light therapy and advice. But through an internet search it also gave me something I was not expecting.... it gave me the words Summer SAD.

Other people were actually talking about how 'I' felt. How the summer, or sun, or heat, triggers a panic reaction, a quite literal body blow that sinks us to a place we just have to wait patiently to get out of.

I wait by staying inside. As I say I work from home, so I have that advantage, but on a day like this in London, with the temperature now hitting 27 degrees at 10.50 in the morning, I know it will be a long day of sitting, blocking out the sun and hopefully getting some work done.

I say hopefully as I get easily distracted, after all here I am now, writing to myself just trying to get out what most people around me don't want to hear.

It would never be my intention to spoil this 'beautiful' 'glorious' day for others by moaning about the fact I wanted it to rain. But outside that is what would happen to me..... a constant reminder of how I 'should' be feeling on this 'lovely' day. GRRRRR.

If you have read this, and are here for help and understanding of SAD, please understand I feel the same feelings as you, just not at the same time.

Blanket time for me now,
Stuart

Hadrian
#28 Posted : 25 July 2017 09:35:10(UTC)
Hadrian

Originally Posted by: bigbruv Go to Quoted Post
Monty Don, the BBC gardener and a sufferer of pretty severe SAD, said in one of his books that the two hardest times of the year for him were just before the shortest day and just after the longest day. I have heard several SAD people like me say they find July a really hard month...they feel they should be 'great' because it's still summer, but the tide has turned, the days are getting shorter, and somehow they sense it deeply and it triggers the SAD.

That doesn't really describe summer SAD but it's definitely my experience ( to a lesser or greater degree each year )
PurpleIvy
#29 Posted : 31 August 2017 12:06:02(UTC)
PurpleIvy

I thought it was Bi Polar that Monty Don suffers from.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed