Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Hadrian
#1 Posted : 24 July 2017 15:00:24(UTC)
Hadrian

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone ,
Been about a year since I've been on here. In case you are new to the forum - I've been a member since 2007 and I also have an official diagnosis of SAD.
After what's been about a month of overcast weather in the north east of England , my SAD symptoms have started to return. Not going abroad this year hasn't helped either. My symptoms normally start around September /October , but over my life time of this condition I have had one or two early symptomatic starts ( a couple of August starts and once before in July ) This is always dependent on what sort of spring / "summer" we've had.
So it's back out with the lamp again. I came of citalopram in February as it was making very tired and I was putting on a lot of weight. Not sure if I want to go down the meds route again. I will see how it goes.
Not sure who Is on the forum now ( it seem's quite ) but I just thought I'd say hello.
wooltonian
#2 Posted : 24 July 2017 18:40:00(UTC)
wooltonian

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hadrian Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone ,
Been about a year since I've been on here. In case you are new to the forum - I've been a member since 2007 and I also have an official diagnosis of SAD.
After what's been about a month of overcast weather in the north east of England , my SAD symptoms have started to return. Not going abroad this year hasn't helped either. My symptoms normally start around September /October , but over my life time of this condition I have had one or two early symptomatic starts ( a couple of August starts and once before in July ) This is always dependent on what sort of spring / "summer" we've had.
So it's back out with the lamp again. I came of citalopram in February as it was making very tired and I was putting on a lot of weight. Not sure if I want to go down the meds route again. I will see how it goes.
Not sure who Is on the forum now ( it seem's quite ) but I just thought I'd say hello.

Hiya Hadrian. I check in most days. I feel fine now, but know that I will turn a corner in the Autumn, so I always feel a connection to this forum.

I was just wondering....do you take vitamin D?. If I don't take it through the winter months I become be a zombie from mid-November onwards. This year I have carried on taking it throughout summer and feel it has helped keep me on an even keel. In the same way, I think you're absolutely right to use your light box during dreary summer mornings and afternoons. If the sun shines get outdoors! If it doesn't get on the light box. It sounds a strange thing to do, but it makes perfect sense to a fellow SAD sufferer!
Hadrian
#3 Posted : 24 July 2017 19:19:45(UTC)
Hadrian

Hi there Wooltonian and thanks for the reply !!!
I've flirted with Vitamin D supplements but never really stuck to it.
What dosage to you take and in what format ( tablets / spray ? ) Is there a certain brand / supplier you prefer ???
wooltonian
#4 Posted : 24 July 2017 19:58:43(UTC)
wooltonian

United Kingdom

I take Solgar brand 1,000 IU softgels. Everyone has their own way of coping, of course, but for me a good brand of vitamin D is a game-changer. Anyway, I hope the sun returns to the north-east for a few weeks before the end of summer. If it doesn't, keep using that light box!
Hadrian
#5 Posted : 25 July 2017 09:26:58(UTC)
Hadrian

I will mate - and I know everyone is different but can I just ask what is your regime , do you just take them in the winter or throughout the year ?
PurpleIvy
#6 Posted : 31 August 2017 12:00:01(UTC)
PurpleIvy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Hadrian, long time no see!

I'm still improving my routine as far as SAD is concerned.

- I'm still on Citalopram over the winter, but managed not to increase the dose last year, just stuck with the basic.
- We are trying to take holidays in the winter more which helps. Last year did a few days with Auntie in south of France in Nov and our main holiday in Caribbean for fortnight beg Jan. This year is good too.
-I have a Lumie desk lamp which I got half price as a refurb last year, just got a second. I do garment alterations and repairs for a living and there is very little natural light in my room, so this is very useful.
-Had an extension built 10 years ago, which includes floor to ceiling windows. I'm sure this has been a great help.
-Supplement regime which varies somewhat, usually just over the winter. This includes Vitamin D. I use the BetterYou spray. I also take various things for IBS, so don't know if any of these help the SAD.

I'm OK so far, but had a bit of a hiccup, not sure if it was May.

P
Hadrian
#7 Posted : 27 September 2017 19:08:34(UTC)
Hadrian

Hi PurpleIvy!!!!!! , great to hear from you!!

I've been on Mirtazipine since the beginning of August - my GP wanted to try that with me as my start up symptoms for Citalopram can be quite severe and Mirtazipine also helps me sleep - one of the hall marks of my symptoms is disturbed sleep / insomnia.
I'm not really sure if Mirtazipine is right for me though I suppose it's early days - still getting some anxiety and guilt feelings . Citalopram took a good 3 months to help me and by then it was getting on to spring but I did have a good winter in 2016 so I'm at a bit of a crossroads just now - whether to continue with the Mirtazapine or go back to the Citalopram.??

Anyway sorry for rambling !!! its funny - I had a bar of Galaxy tonight and thought of you PurpleIvy!!! xx
PurpleIvy
#8 Posted : 27 September 2017 20:30:52(UTC)
PurpleIvy

Why the thinking of me with Galaxy, Hadrian?

I've been ill for a month with IBS, so not really wanting to start the Citalopram.

Edited by user 27 September 2017 20:31:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

wooltonian
#9 Posted : 28 September 2017 07:27:00(UTC)
wooltonian

United Kingdom

I will mate - and I know everyone is different but can I just ask what is your regime , do you just take them in the winter or throughout the year ?

Sorry Hadrian -- just spotted your question from a couple of months ago.

I usually start taking vitamin D during September...maybe one every 2 or 3 days to start off with....and gradually ramp up to one-per-day by mid October. I carry on with one-per-day through until at least April. Actually, this year I've been taking it all through the year, every 3 or 4 days or so. Not sure why that is.....just to keep in the habit, I suppose -- and you can go several days without seeing the sun here in Liverpool even in the middle of summer!

For me, taking vitamin D is about keeping my levels topped up. I'm not sure I need to take it every day even in the middle of winter, but if I suddenly stopped taking it I would see a big difference within a few days....and it's just not worth taking the risk.

Hadrian
#10 Posted : 28 September 2017 19:54:44(UTC)
Hadrian

Originally Posted by: PurpleIvy Go to Quoted Post

I've been ill for a month with IBS, so not really wanting to start the Citalopram.

Hi again ,
I seem to remember you saying in the past how you would often treat yourself with a big bar of galaxy chocolate????
Hadrian
#11 Posted : 28 September 2017 19:57:24(UTC)
Hadrian

Originally Posted by: wooltonian Go to Quoted Post

Sorry Hadrian -- just spotted your question from a couple of months ago.

I usually start taking vitamin D during September...maybe one every 2 or 3 days to start off with....and gradually ramp up to one-per-day by mid October. I carry on with one-per-day through until at least April. Actually, this year I've been taking it all through the year, every 3 or 4 days or so. Not sure why that is.....just to keep in the habit, I suppose -- and you can go several days without seeing the sun here in Liverpool even in the middle of summer!

For me, taking vitamin D is about keeping my levels topped up. I'm not sure I need to take it every day even in the middle of winter, but if I suddenly stopped taking it I would see a big difference within a few days....and it's just not worth taking the risk.

That's ok Wooly , I've got myself the spray - which gives you 3000 per spray - but I've not really noticed any benefit?
Hadrian
#12 Posted : 28 September 2017 19:58:52(UTC)
Hadrian

Originally Posted by: PurpleIvy Go to Quoted Post

Hi again ,
I seem to remember you saying in the past how you would often treat yourself with a big bar of galaxy chocolate????

Also , sorry to hear about your IBS flaring up - do you find it get's worse in winter???
PurpleIvy
#13 Posted : 07 October 2017 22:26:24(UTC)
PurpleIvy

Hi again Hadrian. I don't remember particularly Galaxy! I'm not too choosy when it comes to chocolate, but do like some of the nicer brands. I try to keep off it as much as possible .

IBS flare up? Well, I've no idea what caused it. It's got me under the weather before now, but never made me actually ill. Started about 6 weeks ago, rather unfortunately just before holiday. South of France, no cheese, no wine, no..... lots of things. MIL passed me a newspaper cutting about a new probiotic which is supposed to be helpful to IBS. I got a 6 week supply, supposed to notice a difference some time after a week. Have been on it for a fortnight now and definitely seem to be a bit better. Let's hope the improvement continues. I'm also taking another probiotic with about 30 different strains in and am now dabbling in making Kefir in order to add a fermented food to my diet. I can't cope with cabbage, otherwise would have some sauerkraut.

To answer your question, I've not noticed a difference in the winter with the IBS, just that I don't want to start on Cit while body is low. Will PM
Rss Feed  Atom Feed