Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Autumn
#1 Posted : 30 June 2008 15:15:08(UTC)
Autumn

Groups: Guests

Does anyone else suffer from Summer SAD or am I the only one?
James
#2 Posted : 27 July 2008 14:49:16(UTC)
James

Hi Autumn.

Can you tell me/us a bit more?

I feel I am in the same situation but it may just be a carry over from the initial SAD in winter.

For example - In my case - I worked hard this time last year to get on track to start college by taking relative medication and also playing that Nintendo DS game. Y'know, the Brain Training one?

This was all the while not knowing I had SAD and not knowing that I probably would need to use a light box as the winter crept upon us.

Needless to say I went on a downward spiral and left college after around 3 months. (I wont get into the details)

But the carry over from that has lasted around six months and could account for still "suffering" from SAD in even these summer months.

Can you relate to this at all? Has anything happened or still lingering in your life that you find hard to deal with that could be dragging you down?

On a more technical note - From a personal point of view - My first thoughts would be that it wouldn't be possible for SAD to be triggered in the summer.

Although on thinking about it a little deeper, if you are in a state where a week of overcast weather would upset you, to the point of saying you suffer from symptoms of SAD and that your life in suffering, then you are truly sensitive to the changes in weather. So this could be a type of SAD although on a short time scale.

I would say I am like this. This is why I would highly recommend using the light box even in the summer.

Although, I'm not using right now! I'm always here and there and can't be bothered carrying it around with me.
But when I did use the light box a while ago it felt great and I will be using it nearer winter, for sure.
zizillia
#3 Posted : 05 August 2008 12:00:35(UTC)
zizillia

I don't necessarily suffer from Summer SAD but when the weather takes a turn for the worse and its grey I can definitely start getting SAD symptoms. For instance today it is grey and my office is quite dark and i feel rubbish!!
puddleshy
#4 Posted : 17 August 2008 12:23:29(UTC)
puddleshy

I feel rubbish when the sun isn't shining, even in the summer and well, where the heck is summer I'd like to know - I'm feeling really short changed......!
Eilidh
#5 Posted : 17 August 2008 15:41:39(UTC)
Eilidh

Good to know I am not "going crazy" having SAD in the summer, but it has been a shit summer here in Scotland. I have my light on now and feel so much better :)

Eilidh
toomucheffort
#6 Posted : 20 August 2008 12:13:09(UTC)
toomucheffort

Hi everyone. I was here last year in the pits of my worst SAD ever, and find myself reading the latest entries in the hope that others have plummetted this week like I have. I have been fantastic for the past few weeks - clear-minded, interested in people, chatty, bursting with energy, actually picking up the phone and arranging a social life. But this week I have crashed, and already the slug is creeping over my head.Am i alone??
By the way, I have just read my post from last year and want to thank everyone who offered their words of comfort - I didn't know they were there until today and am very touched. Got my light box on again, and going to start on the ST John's wort for good measure. Cheers...

Edited by user 20 August 2008 12:26:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jen
#7 Posted : 21 August 2008 21:28:10(UTC)
Jen

I have been the exact same this week - all the rain & greyness has got to me & I've been eating carbs like they're going out of fashion. Only clicked tonight it might be my SAD, hence me being here to see if anyone else feels the same. Glad to see I'm not alone, although not glad to hear people are feeling the same, if you get what I mean??
Koala
#8 Posted : 22 August 2008 10:39:42(UTC)
Koala

Hi there! Thank God I am not alone! My boyfriend calls me the 'koala' and close friends know that if I have the curtains closed I am having what they call 'some time in'. I hate the way I makes me feel and after being on anti depressants for roughly 4 years, I still know that weather very much dictates my mood. Exercise helps but, I just dont want to leave the house!
This summer has been a real bind and have been to see my GP and she has suggested that we both go away and try to find some solutions. I did use day light light bulbs one year and I think that they helped a little to stretch my evenings out. I have heard that I might be low on vitamin B or D?
If anyone has any ideas, I would be very greatful.
sadgirl
#9 Posted : 25 August 2008 20:38:33(UTC)
sadgirl

Glad to hear that others feel the same as I do. I had my summer holiday in May and felt great but then came back to the cold and cloudy UK and the SAD returned. Have had a few good days but am gaining weight 'cos I'm craving sweets and carbs - light box comes out tomorrow!
Judy
#10 Posted : 27 August 2008 14:10:03(UTC)
Judy

I read a very interesting article by Jan De Vries about Summer Blues, it is in his 'In Touch' Magazine issue 19 dated Summer 2006 which you can get by contacting their mail order dept at Jan De Vries Healthcare, soutwood road Troon, ayrshire scotland.

The article discusses how some people can suffer agitation and depression in summer, feeling miserable, the cause seems to be linked to overheating and advises cold showers, wearing dark sunglasses and staying out of direct sunlight and heat as much as possible. There are also natural remedies that can help. This article helped me as I had been suffering from this without realising it for many years and never looked forward to summer but actually preferred winter when I felt more comfortable. For me just knowing that I was not the only one who felt like this helped immensely.

Typical sad symptoms include
Oversleeping, disturbed sleep, early morning wakening
Fatigue
Cravings for sweet things
feeling miserable, guilty, loss of self esteem, hopelessness and despair, apathy, loss of feelings
irritability, social withdrawal
tension, not coping with stress
extremes of mood

Edited by user 27 August 2008 14:18:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Stuart
#11 Posted : 26 March 2009 14:12:40(UTC)
Stuart

Man
United Kingdom

Hello there, I am a 40 year old guy living in London, UK. I didn't even realize till today that 'SUMMER SAD' as an official term even existed. It starting to get very Spring like here and the thought of the clocks changing soon, actually makes my stomach feel sick. I have over the years slowly but surely taken more of a dislike to the Summer months. As a kid I did always want to sit in the shade on holidays, and remember often being covered in Calamine lotion pretty much head to toe of many occasions with ‘prickly heat’ so wither that was the start of it all I have no idea. Even now, it’s 2 p.m. in the afternoon and the sun is shining bright. I am sitting inside with the curtains shut as I don’t want to see it, and the thought of going out in it later, which I have to do, will make me a bit panicked.
I love the Autumn, Winter months, love the early dark and long nights, and when the rain comes on I almost feel obliged to go out in it. I love a grey day in London and it does make me genuinely more cheerful and active.
Woo!…. Did I just write that, sorry guys! When I started to write here I had no Idea what I was really going to say, but I guess I’ve said what I must have wanted too.
When I wake up in the morning and see the sun is shining, my heart does genuinely sink, words like HATE the Summer, seen harsh, but I think I do. And knowing that it’s not only me now is something I’m going to get a lot more information on.
Sorry again for the rant, but thanks for listening, Speak soon, Stuart

Angharad
#12 Posted : 05 April 2009 23:43:32(UTC)
Angharad

I completely understand what Stuart and Judy are going through! So glad I'm not the only one. Most people think I'm a killjoy, but when the clocks changed last week, I though "Oh no, here we go again - months of feeling sweaty and uncomfortable and the days dragging." In Summer I put on weight as the heat makes me less inclined to be active - which worsens matters as I am an exercise professional and love activity. I get tired easliy and irritable and can't see an end to the season. In summer our house has the windows shut to prevent more heat entering, curtains shut and the air conditioning unit on permanently. I have to carry damp towels everywhere to keep cool. Doctors seem baffled and cannot offer any help - assuming they believe me as they accept Winter SAD but no its summer counterpart. I cannot wait for cold frosty days again!

Angharad
Lillie
#13 Posted : 07 April 2009 11:08:28(UTC)
Lillie

Last Sunday when the clocks changed, so did I! Spring is when I start thinking about moving as far north as possible. Throughout Spring and Summer my eye involuntarily ticks and I become obsessed with the weather forecast - hoping for an overcast rainy day. I spend my life trying to like summer especially as I don't want my misery or condition to rub off on my young children, but I just can't. I don't think 'hate' is too strong a word - in fact I don't think it is strong enough. Lillie
workate
#14 Posted : 03 June 2009 10:19:01(UTC)
workate

Hi Everyone, I'm really fascinated to hear you talk about Summer SAD. I'm a journalist researching the subject and would love to talk to anyone who is effected by it. Please email me if you are interested in taking part. My address is kate_corr@tiscali.co.uk
Peter L
#15 Posted : 03 June 2009 16:27:12(UTC)
Peter L

I am glad i am not the only one. I had been on anti depressants for about 6 years but have come off them because my doctor thinks i should come off them.
While i was on my pills i could tolerate Summer more but i am finding this year difficult. It doesn't help that in the UK where i am we have seen well above tempertures for this time of year and they predict a heatwave this year.
I am going to a Music Festival for the day in July. I know i am a fool to myself but i love music and in the past i have been ok because of my medication.
The friend i am going with loves Summer and keeps on going on about how he wishes it to be warm and he moans about Winter.
I don't know how to tell him i disagree. I have shared my loathing of Summer with people recently at work and they think i am just being miserable and think i am crazy wishing it to rain.
My symptoms start in Spring. I just hate all the daylight and the noise. I can't wait for Autumn to arrive.
Nellie
#16 Posted : 16 July 2009 20:46:18(UTC)
Nellie

This might sound a bit out there.....but could it be possible that we are genetically predisposed to certain types of weather depending on our geographic ancestry?
Just a thought, I'm no scientist though :)
bigbruv
#17 Posted : 02 August 2009 22:30:17(UTC)
bigbruv

Monty Don, the BBC gardener and a sufferer of pretty severe SAD, said in one of his books that the two hardest times of the year for him were just before the shortest day and just after the longest day. I have heard several SAD people like me say they find July a really hard month...they feel they should be 'great' because it's still summer, but the tide has turned, the days are getting shorter, and somehow they sense it deeply and it triggers the SAD.
terry
#18 Posted : 04 August 2009 17:09:16(UTC)
terry

i felt great all winter and spring because i was using my sad light which is 12000 lux.Anyways the weather hasn,t been too good here in southern ontario.I felt like i was coming around when we had 4 days of sunshine,then we had 4 cloudy days and was right back in a funk. i am glad i found this sight knowing i am not the only one suffering from this crap! Anyways i think there is some good weather heading this way,hopefully i will feelbetter.Sometimes i think that i will never get better,but that is stupid way to think,since it never happens because i always get better.Good luck to all!
Stuart
#19 Posted : 26 March 2012 18:07:43(UTC)
Stuart

Man
United Kingdom

That really awful time of the year is here again..... clocks changed meaning longer sunnier nights. It really does upset me, and I am already looking forward the the Autumn. Let the count down begin.

Edited by user 26 March 2012 18:09:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Stuart
#20 Posted : 26 March 2012 18:13:21(UTC)
Stuart

Man
United Kingdom

Just noticed my last message was posted on this very date 3 years ago. Must be something about the 26th of March that brings out the worst in me.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed