Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

debbie
#1 Posted : 07 September 2016 21:26:40(UTC)
debbie

Groups: Registered
Woman
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi everyone,
Debbie here,
Why is it has the nights draw in summer weather starts?
Here in Radcliffe for a change its been very warm and relatively sunny, which has lifted my mood quite a lot,
Ducks are getting fed on the local canal!
But the downside the nights are drawing in so fast, by 8pm now
I feel on a even keel, fingers crossed, with 10 mg citalopram, but I wonder how long will it last,?
Normally September is a turning point for me, between normal and sad symptoms with October being my worst has that's when I get lethargic and low, hitting rock bottom in December, the thought turns my stomach of long grey days and nights,
A short break for me in under 2 weeks to Derbyshire, so let's hope sad doesn't decide to take hold?
Hope everyone is okay ?
Summer is all to brief in the uk,
Debbie x

Edited by user 07 September 2016 21:27:49(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

PurpleIvy
#2 Posted : 21 September 2016 14:05:30(UTC)
PurpleIvy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Oh dear! Lethargy has kicked in big style! I decided a couple of days ago I should start on the Winter Medication.
wooltonian
#3 Posted : 22 September 2016 10:54:48(UTC)
wooltonian

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I've lost interest in the outside world. I'm not sure whether this is SAD-related or just plain-old fatigue, world-weariness, despondency and low mood. Sometimes it's pointless trying to pick all these things apart. It just is what it is.

As usual, the thing that kick-started all of this is terrible sleep. All my normal coping mechanisms (changing light box usage along with a load of lifestyle stuff) haven't worked and I just can't be bothered with anything at the moment. Sod it. I have started eating comfort food and have developed a highly unusual 'reading habit', having just read Mark Lewisohn's 1,000 page biography of the Beatles (volume one -- only goes up to 1962!) from cover to cover in the space of two days.

Strange, listless times.
Linda
#4 Posted : 22 September 2016 12:16:00(UTC)
Linda

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Hi Wooltonian,

Sorry you're having such a rough time. Your "reading habit" over the last couple of days actually sounds worse than mine, which is saying something! I'm almost through a 500-pager, but it has taken me a few nights.

Do you know what kick-started the terrible sleep? I think around the autumn equinox is when things do start to change. My mood swings are now settling to a generally lower mood, and comfort-eating is quite high on the agenda. There is definitely a feel of autumn in the air - chillier mornings and darker evenings - that has sparked a whole cluster of migraines, far more than I normally have in one month.

I'm having CBT just now, which I am desperately hoping will have some beneficial effects. Early signs are mildly encouraging, although I know it's not going to be the whole answer.

Can you try something to help you sleep, just to break the pattern of wakeful nights you are getting into? Hang on in there; it won't stay like this all autumn.
S100
#5 Posted : 22 September 2016 17:00:14(UTC)
S100

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sorry to hear people are suffering - I do hope it is just the equinox. I must admit I've started to get grumpy, right on schedule. I suppose the CBT approach to that is to be aware of it and to remember to pause and consider before jumping into an argument. I might be in the right about whatever is annoying me, but is it worth getting upset about?

Wooltonian, you do not sound like your usual self at all. Now is not the time to worry about comfort-eating. If curry is your thing, tuck into a good hot one, I say, for the endorphins!

Linda, I was lucky I got a few one-to-one CBT sessions some years ago, on the NHS. I'm sure it helped, though it is certainly not a magic cure, it's more like being one's own supervisor. One unintended consequence is that I recognise behaviour in others which is just going to get them stressed... a very difficult situation in my case because a family member is the worst offender.

Good luck to all. I hope the winter is like a dip in the sea i.e. not so bad once in it!
wooltonian
#6 Posted : 22 September 2016 20:00:45(UTC)
wooltonian

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Thank you so much Linda and S100 (Simon). This week has been tough. I feel OK about not going out; doing a bit of reading and listening to music in my 'man cave'. This is unusual for me, but I've lost my 'spark'...and sometimes it's bet to just admit it, draw the curtains and give yourself a bit of a break from the 'outside world'. Felt like the right thing to do.

This evening I had a phone call from my old work-mate, Quinny -- a no-nonsense Scouser, (nickname 'Rottweiler') who tells it as he sees it. We are complete opposites. Me, an ex-public schoolboy, diffident, with a tendency to 'over-think' everything. Him, 'from-the-tools', up-front, straightforward. When I told him I was 'down' (for want of a better expression) he told be to 'bloody shut up' and 'get down the Cobden Vaults' on Saturday to watch Liverpool vs Hull in the Premier League with him and our mate Billy. I said 'OK'. (He means well!)

Feeling a bit better now. Lord knows how I'll feel tomorrow, but glad I said yes. One step at a time. Linda and Simon: Thank you so much, you guys. Your support means so much!
S100
#7 Posted : 22 September 2016 21:43:54(UTC)
S100

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thanks for the update, Wooltonian. Good to hear you more cheerful. Your mate sounds like just the ticket!

By winter time, it is difficult to drag me out to social events. I feel I can't be bothered, but if I make the effort I usually enjoy them.

Hope you man cave has a good music system. I've just upgraded mine to the digital age. I'm old enough to remember proper hifi but I managed to put together a desktop system which sounds amazing.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed